HR 1970 "50th"+ Reunion
Voting Rights Under Attack: Countering Suppression Efforts - Panel Discussion Wed 5/12 7:00-8:30 PM EDT
We hosted a timely and lively Zoom session on the issue of attacks on voting rights underway in many states. Panelists working on the front lines reported what they see day to day, what steps they are taking, and what steps we can take to help. Winding up in a hopeful assessment for the future, panelists were inspirational in describing their creative and persistent actions to protect one of the core values of our democracy. Moderated by classmate Judith Kauffman Baker. More details including the recording link are here.
Reunion Status Update
In-person reunions will not occur before June 2022, but with any luck will occur then. The reunion committee is staying active and engaged with the Alumni Association as conditions unfold. We intend to program an in-person gathering then, and to hold virtual events in the meantime. Your suggestions for those events are welcome. Plans are in formation as they say!
Past Symposia Events
The reunion committee set up a number of virtual events in spring 2020 to tide us over while we wait for another time to hold an in-person gathering. More of these sessions are being arranged to help keep our spirits up and our friendships vibrant!
Multiple Zoom events were held during 2020 Commencement Week and the weeks following. Most of the involved materials and session video recordings are available on the web pages listed below.
- Tues May 26 - Presentation of Class Survey results Go to Event page and resources / recording.
- Wed May 27 - Climate Symposium - There is no Planet B: What we can do about the climate crisis. Go to Event page and resources / recording.
- Thu May 28 - Democracy #1 - David Riemer: "The New Shape of Economic Crises and Economic Insecurity: What Policy Reforms Are Needed to Protect Democracy?" Go to Event page and resources / recording.
- Fri May 29 - Welcome Back to Schlesinger Library: A Virtual Visit with Faculty Director Jane Kamensky Go to Event page and resources / recording.
- Tues June 2 - Ernie Wilson: "On the Frontlines: Inequality in Action" Go to Event page and resources / recording.
- Thur June 4 - Mark Gerzon: "The Reunited States of America: Can We Bridge the Partisan Divide?" Go to Event page and resources / recording
- Tues June 9 - "The Politics Industry: How Political Innovation Can Break Partisan Gridlock and Save Our Democracy." Katherine Gehl and University Professor Michael Porter analyze the dynamics of our political system and recommend a pathway to overcome obstacles to change. Go to Event page, including updates and resources / session recording.
- Thur June 25 - Diana Pinto: "Democracy in an Equally Divided Europe." Go to Event page and resources / recording
Following Commencement 2020, additional Symposia sessions are being scheduled. Involved materials and session video recordings are available on the web pages listed below.
- Thur November 12, 2020 - Panel Discussion: "Post-Election Perspectives" Go to Event page, including updates and resources / session recording.
- Thur February 4, 2021 - David Blumenthal "COVID Perspectives" Go to Event page and resources / session recording.
- Wed May 12, 2021 - Panel Discussion: "Voting Rights Under Attack: Countering Suppression Efforts" Go to Event page and resources / session recording.